Mar. 12, 2023
Letters to the Seven Churches March 12, 2023
Pt.1 Ephesus…“Duty w/out Devotion”
The Commission... (2:1a). “To the angel of the church in Ephesus write.”
The Character... (2:1b)
1. “The One who holds the seven stars in His right hand.”
2. “The One who walks among the seven golden lampstands”
The Commendation… Rev. 2:2-3
Good things about the church
1. It was an evangelistic church (works)
2. It was a patient church
3. It was a separated church
4. It was an orthodox church…..pure
5. It was a persecuted but persistent church
6. It was a democratic church….autonomous
The Condemnation… Rev.2:4 You’ve left your 1st love.
This is a cutting criticism… for the Lord Jesus is saying…
- You’re doing all the right things…
- But…you’re doing them for all the wrong reasons.
What’s the Cure?...
Three Steps to Return to Your First Love… Rev.2:5
Step #1… Remember
- “Therefore” refers back to a loss of love for the Lord
- The Greek word “fallen” means that they were in a state of spiritual decline.
Step #2… Repent
- change your attitude toward your love for Christ (2:4).
- Reverse your lackluster love into a burning love for the Lord
- Think about the depth of love you have for Him.
- Change your apathetic love to an appreciating love for Him.
Step #3… Redo-Return
“do the deeds you did at first.”
The Challenge of Christ... to the church … Rev.2:7